So the new trailer for the seventh film in the Rocky franchise, simply titled “Creed,” was just released, and let’s just say I was not impressed. At all! I present to you several reasons why this film is just not going to work, and probably should’ve been left in the back alley of some random Philly boxing gym.
5. They already made this film, and it was called Rocky 5. We all know how well received that movie was. Attention, movie studios: films where Rocky doesn’t fight in the ring are not fun to watch!
4. Given the trailer’s obvious attempts to show that this is a serious entry in the Rocky franchise, how are they going to explain that Michael B. Jordan’s father was killed by a Russian amateur boxer named Drago, all while Weird Al sang “Living with a Hernia” as his entrance music?
3. No mention of Tony Burton, aka Apollo’s main ring man and trainer Duke, “Throw the Damn Towel” Evers? Making a Rocky film about Apollo Creed’s kid and not giving him at least a cameo seems just plain sacrilegious! This film just might be the nightmare he described to Rocky in Part IV.
2. The intro to the trailer looked pretty good — right up until Rocky is shown on screen. He just doesn’t fit the tone of what was shown before. He sticks out like sore thumb with that hat, and makes me wonder why this wasn’t just made into an original boxing film.
1. Where the hell is Paulie? Are they going to kill him off-screen like Adrian in Rocky Balboa? If so, then good luck, Sly, because you’re going to need it. You can’t make a Rocky film and not include Paulie. That’s like making a sequel to Over the Top and not having backwards trucker hats.
I know I’m being very negative based on just a trailer, but Sly put off making Rambo: Last Blood to finish this film. What do you Laser Timers think? Are you excited for this film, or would you rather watch Creed live in concert?
Article by contributor Moan4Stallone.