Things get more colorful and dramatic in this new trailer for the final film in X-Men’s flashback trilogy…
After the utter fiasco that was Fantastic Four, I definitely have expressed fears on Cape Crisis that Fox has no clue what to do with Marvel Comics movies. But then this trailer shows up and reminds me that the X-Men franchise has been on an upward trend. After the 1960s origins of First Class, and the mix of ’70s and dystopia in Days of Future Past, I’m looking forward to how how Bryan Singer brings this trilogy of X-Men adventures to a close with Apocolypse. And I feel even more hopeful after watching the brand new trailer…
There’s a lot to unpack in this, not the least of which that Jennifer Lawrence seems to wear her Mystique makeup less with each film. Apocalypse looks like the most unabashedly super-powered of all the X-Men films under Singer (we shall never speak again of Last Stand). Just take a look:
- Look at all these famous faces either returning or debuting in this film! Not only are Nightcrawler and Jean Grey back, but X-men fans have been waiting too long to see folks like Psylocke and Archangel get big budget treatment.
- I hope all the super powers shots in the film look this good. And Storm has NEVER looked better on film. Mohawk Storm forever.
- On paper, Apocalypse almost seems too ridiculous for live action, which makes it even more satisfying to see his shapeshifting powers done right in the trailer.
- Quite a shot from the trailer, and I’m very satisfied that Apoc looks a lot less purple then he did in previous images. We don’t need another Ivan Ooze.
- I’m glad he’s fulfilled his bald destiny, but did we really need this confirmed as the parting shot of the trailer? I dunno, it’s cool, I guess.
So yeah, Fox has earned back some of my faith in them, and this looks like the most “ripped from the comic pages” X-Men film to date. And no Logan to be seen. I doubt this will get lost in the shuffle of comic movies after Dawn of Justice and Civil War, huh? Lemme know how you feel about it in the comments! In the meantime, here’s some X-Men hommework.
CAPE CRISIS RECOMMENDS: