Evidently, Mark Hamill only gets to speak in the Star Wars trailers…
I pop on Force Awakens with disturbing frequency, but this fucking teaser really emphasized how much that movie has resonated. I’m barely awake as of this writing, and the moment Kylo Ren showed up on screen, I mumble out loud “Holy shit, where have these characters beeeeen?!” Well, Chris, you demanding bitch, it’s actually only been about 15 months since these characters officially debuted, yet Disney has somehow solidified Lucasfilm’s brand new cast in your consciousness in a fraction of the time the original trilogy had to brainwash you. A good teaser trailer is part of that manipulation, of course, and The Last Jedi has debuted just that today at Anaheim’s Star Wars celebration.
I have so much in my head after the third viewing of this trailer, but I really gotta get back to work (and today’s Hangout day, Laser Time Patrons!) so let me rattle off a few thoughts. And please chime in with yours!
- I doubt Finn’s back in a Storm Trooper outfit, but the trailer is undoubtedly trying to remind you of the first human you ever saw in a genuine, post-Return of the Jedi* film.
*Writing just JEDI is no longer acceptable shorthand in a Star Wars Ep 8 world. This will take a while to unlearn!
- I’m deliriously happy to see Poe reunited with BB-8. It’s easy to forget, they’re the only characters in Force Awakens characters with a preexisting relationship, yet spent very little screen time together.
- Speaking of which, my favorite all-time Star Wars character, R2-D2, looks to have reunited with an old friend as well. Although, previous teasers have tricked me before, so I won’t get my hopes up.
- Who’s flying the Falcon?!?!?! Could be literally anybody, but I know we’re all hoping ‘Bacca!
- I’m not happy about Han’s fate, but I’m glad we can move past the dashing rogue and get to the Luke story. Star Wars is, above all else, the story of the Skywalkers.
- No Leia in the sizzle, but she’s the only character we knew with 100% certainty was returning in Last Jedi due to the tragic events of December 2016. She’s literally confirmed for Episode IX too?
- Rey’s intro is so rad, although the folks on the internet seems to believe this is her Empire/Degobah arch, and will focus solely on her training. Relax, ya’ll. This a teaser. A good one, and I’m in no hurry for the marketing materials to tip their hand. Rey is this trilogy’s Luke and I have no doubt her path will define the course of the two subsequent films
- On that note, there’s no need to call this the Third Trilogies Empire Strike’s Back because all the Empire moments already occurred in Force Awakens. Rian Johnson has never made a bad film, let alone a derivative one. (Double J is the guy who specializes in homages and Star Wars his turn is over.) I have a lovely gut feeling Last Jedi’s arc is going to be breathtakingly unique and altogether untold. Please don’t tell me anything!
- For all intents and purposes, this is the new Star Wars’ Part 2, and we all know Part 2s are always the best. New characters and stakes have been capably established, this shit is going to hit the ground running with glorious surprises. I could not be more excited.
Lemme know your thoughts in the comments below. We’ll probably talk about this on Bonus Time this week, Laser Time’s Patreon show, and I wanna know what you think! Oh, and if you feel like watching the Force Awakens with your pals at Laser Time, we’ve got a commentary. For all the Star Wars movies, in fact, either individually on our Bandcamp, or get ’em all by supporting our Patreon!