Suggest some Comics

Home Forums Reviews Suggest some Comics

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  SerpentineZero 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

islandgamer
    Participant

Hey Lasertime forum-goers. I am new to life, and was wondering if anybody could throw some comic suggestions my way. Any kinds are valued.

I don’t read a ton of comics, but here are a few of some of my favorites..

Graphic Novels: Walking Dead (series), Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim (series), The Dark Knight Returns, Chew (series)
    Collections of “newspaper” comics: Clavin and Hobbes, Cyanide and Happiness

There is a LOT to choose from though, so it might be easier to first figure out what type of comics you like first.

islandgamer
    Participant

I looked at both watchmen and walking dead, both look good, but walking dead is fairly expensive for someone with a budget that is created by birthdays and christmas.

MonocledYaoGuai
    Participant

Are we talking single issues, trades, graphic novels?

Tareq
    Participant

Comics aren’t that expensive , just walk into your local comic shop and just grab what you find interesting

supergiraffe
    Participant

I highly reccomend the new Animal Man series, out of everything in the new 52 this one strikes me as the best. If you enjoy Animal Man I also suggest Swamp Thing (a series I have not read, but it ties into Animal Man so I plan on it)

Action Comics shows a young Clark Kent becoming the Man of Steel, and although it has its haters I am enjoying it.

From the Bat-family I suggest the new Batman series, as well as Batman and Robin. If you wanna branch out of just Batman I am liking Batgirl, and Batwoman is popular.

Aquaman is plenty of fun, and is really building him up as a cool character.

All-Star Western is a book that costs a little more but each issue contains two stories in it. The first issue is two Jonah Hex Stories, and it seems like Jonah Hex will be the primary story in each issue with the back up changing every few months.

Demon Knights is a medival fantasy book that is pure fun. It reads like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign including all of the jokes your friends would tell about the monsters your fighting.

I don’t read a whole lot of Marvel but I am thoroughly enjoying Daredevil, and I would suggest picking it up. Unlike everything else I’ve mentioned though Daredevil is more then 3 issues in, so you may want to start with the 4th issue of this series if you can’t find the first 3.

MonocledYaoGuai
    Participant

Well since I didn’t get a response here’s some trades/graphic novels.
    Superman Red Son
    All-Star Superman
    Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Knightfall Saga
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Green Lantern Rebirth
    Anything from Blackest Night
    Jack Kirby’s Fourth World
    Anything Jonah Hex
    Watchmen
    Bone
    Scott Pilgrim
    And I don’t know much about Marvel, but I did like Planet Hulk/World War Hulk and Marvel Zombies.

supergiraffe
    Participant

I also suggest Transmetroplitan, or as i like to call it “Hunter S Thompson in the year 3000”

Tareq
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from supergiraffe on November 8, 2011, 02:26
    I also suggest Transmetroplitan, or as i like to call it “Hunter S Thompson in the year 3000”

Jesus Christ yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Odie Esty
    Participant

Still fairly new myself but Avenging Spider-man starts this week and it’s suppose to be kind of amazing. Also Carnage and Deadpool.

Elmo TeH AzN
    Participant

Really with I would have seen this before I went to the comic shop today. The guy recomended me Monocyte. Looks weird. But I would check out walking dead. Really well done.

SerpentineZero
    Participant

Anything involving Batwoman drawn by JH Williams has fantastic art, so i’d check that out if you like really good art.
    Suicide Squad is also really good, especially the original, 80s stuff; only one volume is out now (Trial By Fire) though volume two just got cancelled.
    I’ve heard some good things about Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-men run, which is collected in 4 trade paperbacks (or 2 omnibuses, if you prefer). I only have the first trade, but it is indeed really good. Batman: Hush is another good Batman story, with awesome art.

Everything Monocled and Supergiraffe said is good, so those too. Especially the new ongoing Daredevil, and Demon Knights.

islandgamer
    Participant

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback. I think I’ll go with a few of your suggestions. Again, thanks for all the feedback.

supergiraffe
    Participant

Good sir you gave me a reason to promote Animal Man, I will help you anytime

SerpentineZero
    Participant

@Monocled: One thing though, Knightfall isn’t completely collected, and is missing a fairly big chunk of the story. There’ll be a bigger collection next year that collects EVERYTHING, including KnightsQuest, and various tie-ins. I just wanted to point that out, your list is pretty sweet though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.